INGREDIENTS (1 CUP = 240ML )
HOW TO MAKE THE RECIPE
Preparation for fish fry
½ kg fish
(pieces or fillets)
2 tbsp Oil
or as needed
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
¼ tsp turmeric
¾ tsp garam masala
or any spice powder
½ tsp coriander powder
½ tsp red chili powder
or smoked paprika
1 ½ tbsp rice flour
or all purpose flour
1 ½ tbsp besan
or gram flour (substitute corn flour)
¼ to ½ tsp red chilli powder
1 sprig curry leaves chopped finely
or any herbs
- Add the following ingredients to a plate. – salt, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder,
turmeric, garam masala, coriander powder and lemon juice.
- Mix all of these together to make a paste. Taste the marinade and adjust salt or spice
- Rinse the fish fillets thoroughly. If using a fish like salmon, make slits on the fillet.
- Apply this marinade to the fish pieces. If needed add 1 tsp of water to apply the paste
well. Set this aside.
- Add flour, salt, red chili powder and curry leaves. Mix all of these. Taste this and
adjust salt or spice as needed.
- Place the fish in flour mixture. Make sure flour coats well on to the fish on both the
sides. Fish looks floury at this stage. Set this aside till the dry flour turns moist.
- The moisture in the fish makes the flour damp and it sticks well to the fish. This takes
around 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat a griddle, pan or tawa. Add 2 tbsp oil and spread it well.
- Heat it on a low flame. Fry the fish fillets till crusty on both the sides.
- Be gentle while flipping the fish otherwise the masala comes out.
- Fish can be pan fried or shallow fried both yield almost the same result.
- Garnish fish fry with sliced onion and grated carrot. Serve with a meal or as an
- After the second marination, Gently brush a generous amount of oil over the fillet.
heat the oven at 170 C for 15 minutes and grill for about 25 minutes. You may need to
grill for more or long depending on the thickness of the fillet or the variety of fish