- 8 oz bacon, chopped (¼ in.)
- 4 oz red onion, quartered
- 1 oz celery, in pieces (2 in.)
- 1 oz carrots, in pieces (2 in.)
- 1 oz tomato paste
- ½ oz extra virgin olive oil
- 2 – 3 sprigs fresh rosemary (1 sprig, leaves only), plus extra, to garnish, divided
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 10 oz canned cannellini beans (1 x 15 oz can), drained, divided
- 32 oz vegetable stock
- 5 oz ditalini pasta
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium high heat, crumble in ground beef and cook, stirring occasionally until cooked through.
Drain fat from beef then transfer beef to a plate, set aside. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil in same pot.
Add onions, carrots, and celery and saute over medium-high heat until tender about 6 minutes, add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, water, canned tomatoes, sugar, basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram and cooked beef then season with salt and pepper to taste.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until veggies are soft, about 15 – 20 minutes.
Meanwhile prepare ditalani pasta according to directions on package, cooking to al dente.
Add cooked and drained pasta to soup* along with kidney beans and great northern beans. Thin with a little more broth or water if desired.
Allow to cook 1 minute longer. Stir in parsley, serve warm with grated Romano or Parmesan cheese.
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese, grated (optionnel)