Polish Sweet Bread (from my Mom’s recipe book)
1 pint Milk
1 stick Butter
½ cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Salt
2 pkgs Dry Cake Yeast
4 tablespoons Luke-warm Water
½ teaspoon Sugar
½ teaspoon Vanilla
7 cups Flour (plus 1 cup for kneading)
½ cup Golden White Raisins
1. Scald milk. Stir in butter, sugar, salt. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Cool to luke warm.
2. Crumble yeast in luke warm water. Add ½ teaspoon of sugar. Let stand until yeast mixture is bubbly.
3. Beat eggs until foaming, stir into cooled mixture. Add yeast and vanilla.
4. Sift flour slowly into mixture and beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Dough will be soft and sticky as batter dough.
5. Turn out on a well floured board and knead until smooth and elastic (Use 1 cup flour for kneading). Place dough in a greased bowl, cover, and let rise for 1 hour.
6. Punch down and let rise another hour.
7. Place in greased 9x5x3 bread pans. Cover, let rise in warm place for around 30 minutes.
8. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes.