As I said before this summer I will have a whole bunch of my favorite grilled recipes. Chicken flavored with sweet honey glaze and balanced with Teriyaki sauce, ginger and infused with strong garlic flavor gives you one harmonious taste. Brine plays a big part because it is just as a fire starter for this chicken makes it tender and ready to grill. There are many recipes and versions of Honey-Teriyaki Glazed Grilled Chicken and this is just one more out of nearly thousands of similar ones.
- 3 Lb. Chicken breast cut into about 1 inch pieces/2 bites (or use any parts of the chicken)
- 1/2 Garlic head smashed
- 3-4 slices fresh ginger root
- 1 Tbs. Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 4-6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup Teriyaki sauce or make your own click here
- 1/4 cup pure honey
- 4 slices fresh Ginger
- 1/2 head garlic
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil + 3 TBS.
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Scallion green part
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Start making simple brine first. Combine the garlic, ginger, salt, brown sugar, water, and thyme in a large storage food/freezer bag and swirl to dissolve the sugar. Add chicken and let it brine for about an hour (1 hr.) in the refrigerator.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- At this point make the sweet honey teriyaki glaze: In the saucepan, over medium heat, combine teriyaki sauce, honey, ginger, garlic, and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, and simmer until slightly reduced.
Remove chicken from brine and pat dry with kitchen paper towel Add the chicken to a large bowl, drizzle with the 3 tablespoons of sesame oil and season with freshly ground black pepper. Toss to coat all the pieces and cook on a medium grill for 7-10 minutes per side until cooked through. (For bigger pieces or different parts of the chicken allow to cook up for 20 minutes until cooked through)
- Brush with teriyaki glaze for the last 3-4 minutes of cooking.
- Garnish with scallions and toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve with rice and or salad-I made shredded cabbage, fresh beets, and carrot salad seasoned it with a bit of oil+lemon+salt to taste.
You can use any parts of the chicken just allow it to cook more. You could make it spicy only if you add in the glaze bit of gochujang, sriracha or chili powder. This could be made in the oven/400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until done. For fantastic flavor, you could rub some bacon/pork belly fat on the griddle or grill OR if you do not eat the pork use chicken skin.