Juicy sirloin steak cooked perfectly and quickly in an air fryer. The steak is cooked evenly through the middle and tastes delicious.
It’s perfect for date night, those cooking one steak for themselves, and anyone looking for new ways to use their air fryer!
I never thought of cooking steak in an air fryer until a friend said she had tried it and loved it!
2 Sirloin Steaks, about 1 lb, 1 ½″ Thick, (or other steak cut with same thickness)
1 teaspoon Olive Oil
TIPS AND VARIATIONS FOR PERFECT STEAK IN THE AIR FRYER
- Steak Type: I used leaner sirloin for this recipe, but this method will work for any thick steak you like.
- Thickness Matters: Start with steaks that are at least one inch thick. Thinner steaks cook too fast without getting a chance to brown.
- Room Temperature: Let your steaks get to room temperature 30 minutes before cooking for the best results.
- Dry Steaks: Pat steaks and pork chops with paper towels to remove moisture, which will stream them rather than brown.
- Better Browning: Your steaks, chops, and vegetables will brown better when spritzed with a little oil.
- Dry Rub for Leaner Steaks: Adding a dry rub to leaner steaks helps with overall color. For this recipe, I kept it simple with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika.
- Don’t Overcrowd the Basket: The steaks should have enough airflow for optimal browning.
- Rest: Remove the steaks and let them rest on a plate, loosely tented with foil so they don’t continue cooking in the air fryer basket.
Make perfect Air Fryer Steak that is seared on the outside and juicy on the inside. Air frying steak is quick and easy with no splatter or mess in the kitchen!
GET IT NOW FOR FREE
Set the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for 7 minutes, flip, and cook for an additional 7-8 minutes until desired doneness.
Medium Rare Internal Temperature:
Medium Internal Temperature:
Transfer steaks to a cutting board and slice against the grain in ¼″ slices.
How long do steaks take in the air fryer?
- Medium Steak: For 1-inch-thick steaks cooked to medium-rare, cook the steak in a preheated air fryer for 12 minutes and flip it at six minutes.
- Medium-Rare Steaks: For 1-inch-thick steaks cooked to medium-rare, cook the steak in a preheated air fryer for 10 minutes and flip it at five minutes.
- Adjust Time Depending on Thickness: For thicker or thinner steaks, adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Rare: 125°F
- Medium-Rare: 135°F
- Medium: 145°F
- Medium Well: 155°F
- Well: 160°F