Is there ever a bad time for hot and crispy potato cakes? I certainly don’t think so, especially when you’re making super easy and oh-so-irresistible air fryer potato pancakes!
These fritters are crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle, just like a great hash brown.
And by starting with shredded hash browns, we can skip the tedious steps of peeling and grating potatoes. You’ll be ready to serve in about 20 minutes!
HERE’S WHAT I’M GOING TO TEACH YOU IN THIS POST:
- How to make crispy potato cakes in the air fryer
- The difference between potato pancakes and latkes
- Tips for making the best potato cakes in the air fryer
- How to use the air fryer to reheat leftover potato pancakes in about 5 minutes
Crispy potato cakes are perfect with bacon and eggs for breakfast, as a savory side with your main course, or as a tasty snack any time.
You could even make them as a simplified version of Hanukkah latkes! They’re so easy and delicious, you might find yourself looking for any excuse to whip up a batch.
HOW TO MAKE AIR FRYER POTATO PANCAKES
A full printable version of this recipe with ingredient measurements is available at the bottom of this post.
STEP ONE: Combine the shredded hash browns, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper, flour, and egg in a large bowl.
- 3 cups of shredded hash browns
- 2-3 green onions
- 1 teaspoon of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- Combine your shredded hash browns, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper, flour, and egg in a large bowl.
- Chop your green onions, the green part only, and incorporate them into the mixture.
- Preheat your air fryer to 370 degrees.
- While it is preheating, make your pancakes. I took a ¼ cup measuring cup and scooped the mixture into it. I then shook it out and it was formed like the measuring cup. I simply pressed down on the mixture to make it into the pancake form. Once your air fryer is ready, generously spray the bottom of your basket. Lay your potato cakes in the basket. Do not overcrowd it because you will need room to flip them halfway through the cooking time.
- Cook for 4 minutes and then flip. Spray the tops of your potato pancakes and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and additional green onions, if desired.
HOW TO REHEAT POTATO PANCAKES:
1. Place the potato pancakes in your air fryer.
2. Air fry for 4-5 minutes or until they are crispy and hot. Serve and enjoy!