Certainly! Traditional Irish Beef Stew is a hearty and flavorful dish, perfect for a comforting meal. Here’s a recipe for you:
Traditional Irish Beef Stew:
- 2 pounds (about 1 kg) beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup Guinness beer (or any stout beer)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3-4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the Oven: Preheat your oven to 325°F (165°C).
- Prepare the Beef: In a large bowl, toss the beef stew meat with flour, salt, and black pepper until the meat is well coated.
- Brown the Meat: Heat the vegetable oil in a large oven-safe pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown the beef in batches, ensuring each piece is seared on all sides. Set aside the browned beef.
- Sauté Onions and Garlic: In the same pot, add chopped onions and garlic. Sauté until the onions are softened and translucent.
- Deglaze the Pot: Pour in the Guinness beer to deglaze the pot, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom.
- Add Remaining Ingredients: Return the browned beef to the pot. Add beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, dried thyme, and bay leaves. Stir well to combine.
- Simmer: Bring the stew to a simmer. Cover the pot and transfer it to the preheated oven. Let it bake for about 1.5 to 2 hours or until the beef is tender.
- Add Vegetables: Remove the pot from the oven. Add carrots and potatoes to the stew. Return it to the oven and continue baking for an additional 30-45 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Adjust Seasoning: Taste the stew and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve: Remove the bay leaves and discard. Serve the Irish Beef Stew in bowls, garnished with fresh parsley if desired.
Enjoy your delicious and comforting Traditional Irish Beef Stew!