Certainly! Here’s a recipe for the best fried green tomatoes:
- 4 large green tomatoes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or regular milk)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Ranch dressing or remoulade sauce for dipping (optional)
- Slice the green tomatoes into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Discard the ends.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, cornmeal, salt, black pepper, and paprika (if using). Mix these dry ingredients together.
- In another shallow bowl, whisk the eggs and buttermilk together until well combined.
- Heat about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a heavy skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. You can also use a deep fryer if you have one.
- Dip each green tomato slice into the egg mixture, allowing any excess to drip off, and then coat it in the flour-cornmeal mixture. Press the coating onto the tomato slice to make sure it adheres well.
- Carefully place the coated tomato slices into the hot oil, being cautious not to overcrowd the pan. Fry them for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown and crispy. You may need to adjust the heat to ensure they cook evenly without burning.
- Remove the fried green tomatoes from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil. Sprinkle them with a little salt and pepper while they’re still hot.
- Continue frying the remaining tomato slices in batches until they are all cooked.
- Serve the fried green tomatoes hot as a side dish or appetizer. They are delicious on their own or with a dipping sauce like ranch dressing or remoulade.
Enjoy your crispy and flavorful fried green tomatoes! They make for a fantastic Southern-inspired treat.