Homemade Chicken Pot Pie: Comfort Food at Its Best
Chicken Pot Pie is the epitome of comfort food, with tender chicken, savory vegetables, and a creamy sauce, all encased in a flaky, golden-brown crust. In this article, we’ll guide you through a classic and mouthwatering recipe to create your own Homemade Chicken Pot Pie.
Ingredients You’ll Need
To make Homemade Chicken Pot Pie, you’ll need:
For the Pie Filling:
- 2 cups of cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- 2 cups of mixed frozen vegetables (carrots, peas, corn, and green beans)
- 1/2 cup of diced onion
- 1/2 cup of diced celery
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (for the top)
For the Pie Crust (optional):
- 1 refrigerated pie crust (for the bottom)
1. Prepare the Pie Filling
- In a large skillet or saucepan, melt the unsalted butter over medium heat.
- Add the diced onions and celery to the melted butter and sauté until they become tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the all-purpose flour, salt, black pepper, dried thyme, dried parsley, and garlic powder. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture is well combined and fragrant.
- Gradually pour in the chicken broth and whole milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Cook the mixture until it thickens and comes to a gentle boil, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the diced or shredded chicken and mixed frozen vegetables to the creamy sauce. Stir to combine and let it simmer for another 5 minutes until the vegetables are heated through.
2. Assemble the Pot Pie
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- If using a refrigerated pie crust for the bottom, roll it out and place it into a 9-inch pie dish. Trim any excess crust hanging over the edges.
- Pour the prepared chicken and vegetable filling into the pie crust.
- Unroll the second refrigerated pie crust for the top. You can place it whole over the filling or cut it into strips for a lattice design. Seal the edges of the top and bottom crusts by pressing them together.
3. Bake the Chicken Pot Pie
- Place the assembled pot pie in the preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- If the edges of the crust start to brown too quickly, you can cover them with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning.
4. Serve and Enjoy
- Once the Chicken Pot Pie is done, remove it from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Slice into portions and serve hot. It pairs wonderfully with a side of green salad or steamed vegetables.
Tips for Perfect Chicken Pot Pie
- Feel free to add your favorite herbs and spices to the filling for extra flavor. Fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary work wonderfully.
- If you’re short on time, you can use a pre-made rotisserie chicken for the cooked chicken in the filling.
- To save time, you can use a store-bought pie crust for both the bottom and top.
This Homemade Chicken Pot Pie is a comforting and hearty dish that’s perfect for a cozy family dinner or a special occasion. Its creamy filling and flaky crust make it a timeless favorite that’s sure to warm your heart and satisfy your taste buds. Enjoy!