- 4 cups bread flour (you can also use all-purpose flour)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- Sesame seeds (optional, for topping)
- Activate the yeast: In a small bowl, combine the lukewarm milk and lukewarm water. Sprinkle the yeast over the liquid and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes until it becomes foamy and activated.
- Combine dry ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the bread flour, sugar, and salt.
- Mix wet ingredients: In another bowl, whisk the melted butter and egg together.
- Make the dough: Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the activated yeast mixture along with the butter and egg mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon or a mixer fitted with a dough hook until the dough starts to come together.
- Knead the dough: Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for about 8-10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. You can also use a stand mixer with a dough hook for this step.
- First rise: Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1-1.5 hours or until it doubles in size.
- Shape the buns: Once the dough has risen, punch it down gently and divide it into 12 equal portions. Roll each portion into a smooth ball and flatten it slightly into an oval shape, suitable for hotdog buns. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving some space between each bun.
- Second rise: Cover the shaped buns with a kitchen towel and let them rise again for about 30-45 minutes or until they expand and look puffy.
- Preheat oven and prepare: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). If desired, brush the risen buns with a little milk and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
- Bake: Bake the buns in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until they turn golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- Cool and serve: Allow the hotdog buns to cool on a wire rack before slicing and serving.
These homemade hotdog buns are perfect for your favorite sausages or hotdogs, giving you a fluffy and flavorful base for your delicious creations!