Slow Cooker Cowboy Beans: Hearty, Flavorful, and Easy
Cowboy beans, also known as chuckwagon beans, are a hearty and satisfying dish that’s perfect for gatherings, barbecues, or simply a comforting meal at home. This slow cooker recipe allows you to create a flavorful and filling dish with minimal effort. With the rich combination of beans, ground beef, and a tangy sauce, Slow Cooker Cowboy Beans are sure to become a family favorite.
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s gather the essential ingredients you’ll need for Slow Cooker Cowboy Beans:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper (any color), finely chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions, and sour cream
1. Brown the Ground Beef
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground beef until it’s browned and no longer pink, breaking it apart with a spatula as it cooks. Drain any excess fat.
2. Combine Ingredients in the Slow Cooker
- Transfer the browned ground beef to your slow cooker.
- Add the finely chopped onion and bell pepper to the slow cooker.
- Add the drained and rinsed pinto beans, black beans, and kidney beans.
- Pour in the can of diced tomatoes (including the juice).
- In a separate bowl, combine the ketchup, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Mix these ingredients together well.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the other ingredients in the slow cooker.
3. Slow Cook
- Stir all the ingredients in the slow cooker until well combined.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. The longer you cook them, the more the flavors will meld together.
4. Serve and Garnish
- Once the Slow Cooker Cowboy Beans are done, give them a good stir before serving.
- You can serve the beans as is or garnish them with shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions, and a dollop of sour cream if desired.
- Serve the Slow Cooker Cowboy Beans as a main dish or a hearty side. They pair well with cornbread, rice, or simply a side of fresh salad.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated and reheated for a delicious meal later on.
Slow Cooker Cowboy Beans are a tasty and convenient dish that brings comfort and flavor to your table. With the convenience of the slow cooker, you can enjoy this hearty meal with minimal fuss and maximum satisfaction. Whether you’re feeding a crowd or just your family, these beans are a crowd-pleaser.
So, gather your ingredients, set your slow cooker, and get ready to savor a bowl of flavorful and hearty Cowboy Beans. Happy cooking!