- 1 package (about 16 ounces) marshmallows
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- 2 pounds powdered sugar (approximately 7-8 cups), plus extra for dusting
- Vegetable shortening or butter for greasing
- Prepare the marshmallows: In a microwave-safe bowl, place the marshmallows and add 2 tablespoons of water. Microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the marshmallows are completely melted and smooth. If needed, add an extra tablespoon of water to achieve a smooth consistency.
- Add powdered sugar: Gradually add the powdered sugar to the melted marshmallows, mixing it in small batches. Stir well after each addition until the mixture becomes too stiff to mix with a spoon.
- Knead the fondant: Grease your hands with vegetable shortening or butter and transfer the mixture onto a clean surface dusted with powdered sugar. Knead the fondant like dough, incorporating the remaining powdered sugar until it’s no longer sticky and forms a smooth, pliable ball.
- Store or use immediately: If you’re not using the fondant immediately, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in an airtight container at room temperature. Before using, knead it again to soften.
This homemade fondant can be used to cover cakes, create decorations, or mold into various shapes. It’s versatile and easy to work with, allowing you to personalize your baked creations!